South Orange, NJ

Home Upcoming Shows HSC Venues Past Productions Articles HSC Programs Shakespeare Library Actor Resources About Us/Contact Us Site Map Links


Meadowland Park




The Township of South Orange Village as it is officially known was first settled in 1666 when Connecticut settlers landed on the shores of the Passaic River. Guided by Captain Robert Treat and Lieutenant Samuel Swaine, the group purchased land, now known as Newark, from the Lenni Lenape Indians on July 11, 1666. South Orange was part of Newark until 1806, when what is now the Oranges and Maplewood were set off as "Orange Township." The name Orange came into use in the second half of the 18th century.  South Orange also has the distinction of being the home of Seton Hall University, one of the Big East Men's & Women's Basketball greats and one of New Jersey's premier universities. 

Below, a shot of the village center approaching from the east.

Above, a shot of the Baird Community Center, home office for the South Orange Department of Recreation and Cultural Affairs, the long running Baird Theatre and the Pierro Art Gallery

Baird Community Center sign post pictured below.

For further information on South Orange please click on

For more information on Seton Hall University please click


To view the Meadowland Park page.   


To view other HSC Venues:   

College Misericordia - Dallas, PA

Hackensack, NJ

Hoboken, NJ

Jersey City, NJ

Kenilworth, NJ New York, NY
Secaucus, NJ South Orange, NJ
Stratford, CT  Union City, NJ

West Milford, NJ


Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
[Home]  [Upcoming Shows]  [HSC Venues]  [Past Productions]  [Articles] [HSC Programs]
 [Shakespeare Library] [Actor Resources]   [Contact Us]  [Links]  [Site Map]